In this beginner workshop you will learn basic methods & techniques behind the art of natural dyeing with local plants & common food waste.
We will focus specifically on the technique of bundle dyeingwith leaves, dried + fresh flower petals, along with powdered extracts-- while also exploring color extraction methods with dyestuffs such as avocado pits, onion skins, & pokeberries.
You will begin by learning how to prepare your fabrics using proper scouring + mordanting methods along with recommendations for foraging local plants. Next, we will dive into color extraction methods then jump into our hands-on bundle dye techniques & experiment with sample dye vats that will be provided. Afterwards, you will gain knowledge on how to properly care for your fabrics post plant dyeing.
Participants will receive:
- (1) Silk Bandana for bundle dyeing
- Various sample fabrics will be provided for you to experiment with other dye extracts we will have available.
- A comprehensive resource + tool list.
- A take home recipe to create your very own natural dye bath at home using dried red onion skins.
- All participants will receive 15% OFF* any HONOR | OF goods as well as a future HONOR | OF workshop of your choice.
Each person may bring (1) one additional SMALL item to dye --previously stained & well-loved items encouraged!-- Thus being able to give these items new life through the art of natural dyeing.